Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Chicken Fried

"You eat squirrel baby?"


"Excuse me?"  I figured I had misheard Mr. Sam when he walked into the bakeshop asking me if I frequently indulge in woodland creatures.  It could have been the old black man's strong accent or the three loud mixers going that had caused me to believe Mr. Sam had said something more normal. Or it could potentially have been the fact that it was 3AM, I had been alone in the bakeshop all night, my ipod had died 2 hours previous, and I was starting to argue with the ovens, but whatever the reason, I asked Mr. Sam to repeat himself. Which he gladly did.


"I say you eat squirrel?"


Apparently I was not mistaken. The man did actually ask me if I eat tree-rats. 


"Ummm, no?"


"Aww das too bad. Dey's gooooood!"  Apparently Mr. Sam's wife had made squirrel for dinner. I didn't ask where she obtained the squirrel, and he didn't offer the information. I figured it's probably better that I didn't know. 


Evidentially people in Southwest Louisiana frequently eat squirrel. There are many ways in which to deliciously prepare the southern delicacy, including but not limited to: 


Fried
Stewed
Baked 
Boiled


I now have various recipes for squirrel should anyone want them. They are also all good with various different proteins.  Turtle works well boiled and stewed. Bats have very little meat, and are "tricky lil buggers", but are delicious when fried. Rabbit is great baked into chicken tender type objects. Etc. 


Now, I can't help but think of Mr. Sam whenever I see a cute lil fluffy squirrel tail flying between the leaves of the giant mossy oaks outside. Or a less cute, less fluffy squirrel tail  lying flattened on the side of the road...


I told myself I would branch out in my culinary endeavors while living down here. 
I didn't think that'd be so literal.



No comments:

Post a Comment