Sunday, April 22, 2012

Houston Shootout

Over my two days off this week, I took a lil jaunt over to Texas with native Houston-ite Andre.  People often say they didn't know what they were expecting about new situations, but I definitely knew what I was looking to see in Houston... and the real thing and my visual were not even close. I was expecting a lot of brown and dirt, occasionally a cactus, some tumbleweeds rolling in the breeze, maybe MeeMaw doing her runway walk... What I was not prepared for  was the dizzying amount of neon billboards, inordinate amount of mexican restaurants, and  the insane tangle of highways that caused exit maps to look like pictures of Medusa.


While in Houston, Andre and I did all of the typical big city touristy things that seem completely out of place in my Houston mental picture.  We visited the Galleria, got nummy Mexican food, toured downtown, etc. Only once did I feel like I stepped right into the Houston of my imagination... When we went shooting. 


I've never been to a gun range, especially in Houston, but it was pretty much how I'd pictured it...minus the old western showdown.  There were guys in spurs, lots of flannel and camo, lotsa dirt, and big guns. I felt slightly out of place in my sun dress and sandals, but I was more confused why a girl was such an oddity as opposed to the 6 year old boy shooting a rifle 100 yards at a duck decoy.  In the north, kids watch cartoons about daffy duck. In the south, they shoot him.  Maybe that's why everyone in Houston has a gun... They're waiting for the fowl to retaliate.



No comments:

Post a Comment